|Sensa anyone? RIDIC!|
HOWEVER, we DO think that when done *correctly*, supplementation can be helpful in starting and maintaining a healthy lifestyle. Here's the gist: there are some basics that, WHEN COMBINED WITH A HEALTHY DIET AND REGULAR EXERCISE, can help your body to perform at optimal level:
1. Multivitamin - seems simple, but so many people overlook it. It's just a good supplement that can fill in any gaps in your nutrition.
2. Omegas - 3, 6, and 9 in particular; essential fatty acids support healthy blood circulation, normal blood pressure and help balance bodily fluids.....not to mention it is good for your hair, skin, and nails!
3. Protein - if you aren't getting enough protein through real food, a supplement can help make up the difference! Whey protein (or brown rice/pea/soy/etc. proteins if you're avoiding dairy) is a good basic! Casein protein before bed can be used if you're working out really hard!
Those three will make sure your basics are covered, but here are some others to potentially consider:
- Branched Chain Amino Acids (BCAAs) - when taken during training, they can improve prolonged
performance and promote recovery. BCAAs may also reduce muscle breakdown!
- Glutamine/L-Glutamine - this is particularly beneficial after workouts because it has the ability to
re-synthesize muscle glycogen and glutamine levels lost during exercise. This is a good one if you are working out a lot!
- Thermogenic/Fat Burner - these are most of the "diet pills" you see (Hydroxycut, Slim Quick, etc.) They are marketed to increase your metabolic rate and motivate your body to burn more calories than it would otherwise. But just taking a fat burner and not working out isn't going to make you burn calories - something to keep in mind :)
- Zinc monomethionine aspartate (ZMA) - promotes restful, restorative sleep and has been shown to enhance muscle strength and endurance. We are former Melatonin users, and ZMA has been wonderful to help ensure we get good sleep!
QUESTION: Do you use any supplements? If so, what and why? Please put your answer in a comment below!
Timothy and Lindsay